- 2019. “Stoics and Hotheads: Leaders' Temperament, Anger, and the Expression of Resolve in Face-to-face Diplomacy," Journal of Global Security Studies 4(2), 190-208.
- 2018. "Mapping the Repertoire of Emotions and their Communicative Functions in Face-to-face Diplomacy," International Studies Review.
- 2018 (with Hak Yin Li). “The Evolution of Chinese Public Diplomacy and the Rise of Think Tanks," Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, 14(1), 36-46.
- 2016. “Emotions and the Communication of Intentions in Face-to-face Diplomacy,” European Journal of International Relations 22(1). 144-167. Co-winner of the 2016 Diplomatic Studies Section Article Award, International Studies Association (awarded for published article that “best advances the theoretical and empirical study of diplomacy”).
- 2006. “What’s in a Dumpling? The Chinese Fast Food Industry and the Spread of Indigenous Cultures under Globalization,” Stanford Journal of East Asian Affairs 6(1), 25-32. Excerpts reprinted in Joan T. Mims and Elizabeth M. Nollen (2011), Mirror on America: Essays and Images from Popular Culture, 5th edition (Bedford/St. Martin's).
- 2005. “Economic Statecraft across the Strait: Business Influence in Taiwan’s Mainland Policy,” Asian Perspective 29(2), 41-72.
- 2017. Review of Marcus Holmes’ “You Never Get a Second Chance to Make a First Impression? First Encounters and Face-based Threat Perception,” H-Diplo (April 11)
- 2015. “The Passion of Face-to-face Diplomacy,” Border Crossing 1(6), 18-19, Diplomat Magazine.
Work in Progress
- “Diplomatic Negotiations” (handbook chapter under contract; revise and resubmit)
- “Who Blinked? Performing Resolve (or Lack thereof) in Face-to-face Diplomacy" (under review)
- "One-upmanship and Putdowns: The Aggressive Use of Interaction Rituals in Face-to-face Diplomacy" (under review)
- The Microsociology of Diplomacy (book project; tentative title)
- "Emotions and the Self-Assessment of Resolve in Times of Crisis"
- “'Ah Q' Spirit and Audience Costs”
Photo Credit: Satoshi Kambayashi, The Economist