The microsociology of diplomacy
- Forthcoming. “Diplomatic Negotiations,” in Gesine Schiewer, Jeanette altarriba and Ng Bee Chin (eds.) Handbook of Language and Emotion, Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- 2021. “Who Blinked? Performing Resolve (or Lack thereof) in Face-to-face Diplomacy," Security Studies 30(3), 419-449.
- 2021. "One-upmanship and Putdowns: The Aggressive Use of Interaction Rituals in Face-to-face Diplomacy," International Theory 13(2), 341-71.
- 2020. "Mapping the Repertoire of Emotions and their Communicative Functions in Face-to-face Diplomacy," International Studies Review 22(1), 77-97.
- 2019. “Stoics and Hotheads: Leaders' Temperament, Anger, and the Expression of Resolve in Face-to-face Diplomacy," Journal of Global Security Studies 4(2), 190-208.
- 2016. “Emotions and the Communication of Intentions in Face-to-face Diplomacy,” European Journal of International Relations 22(1). 144-167. Co-winner of the 2016 Diplomatic Studies Section Article Award, International Studies Association (awarded for published article that “best advances the theoretical and empirical study of diplomacy)
Emotions in international politics
- Conditionally Accepted. "Explaining the ‘Cult of Toughness’: In-group Fear, Kennedy’s Reputation for Weakness, and the Berlin Crisis of 1961.”
International politics of East Asia
- Forthcoming (with Charles Fung). “Perils of the Orient: Hong Kong as a Battleground in the US-China Rivalry,” in Brad Roberts and Hyun Ji Rim (eds.), US-China Strategic Competition: US Indo-Pacific Strategy and Foreign Policy Challenges. (Routledge). Also forthcoming in Asian Perspective.
- 2018 (with Hak Yin Li). “The Evolution of Chinese Public Diplomacy and the Rise of Think Tanks," Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, 14(1), 36-46.
- 2006. “What’s in a Dumpling? The Chinese Fast Food Industry and the Spread of Indigenous Cultures under Globalization,” Stanford Journal of East Asian Affairs 6(1), 25-32. Excerpts reprinted in Joan T. Mims and Elizabeth M. Nollen (2011), Mirror on America: Essays and Images from Popular Culture, 5th edition (Bedford/St. Martin's).
- 2005. “Economic Statecraft across the Strait: Business Influence in Taiwan’s Mainland Policy,” Asian Perspective 29(2), 41-72.
Work in Progress
- “Face-to-face with a Madman” (article manuscript)
- “‘Ah Q Spirit’ at Work: How Beijing Manages its Citizens' Loss of Esteem (and thereby Minimizes Audience Costs) in International Conflicts" (article manuscript)
- “Negotiating International Status in the Last Three Feet” (article manuscript)
- “Emotions in Diplomacy” (handbook chapter under contract)
- The microsociology of diplomacy (book project)
- The psychology of victory and defeat in international politics (book project)
- 2023. Review of Eunbin Chung’s Pride, Not Prejudice: National Identity as a Pacifying Force in East Asia,” H-Diplo | RJISSF Roundtable Review 14-14.
- 2017. Review of Marcus Holmes’ “You Never Get a Second Chance to Make a First Impression? First Encounters and Face-based Threat Perception,” H-Diplo | ISSF Article Review 74.
- 2015. “The Passion of Face-to-face Diplomacy,” Border Crossing 1(6), 18-19, Diplomat Magazine.
Photo Credit: Satoshi Kambayashi, The Economist